Tofterå Slettemoen genealogy
Johannes van der Raadt

-
Name Johannes van der Raadt Born 13 Apr 1895 Noordwijkerhout, Zuid-Holland Gender Male Name Jan Name John Died 14 Apr 1991 St. Anthony's Home, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Buried 19 Apr 1991 Rosedale cemetery, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Person ID I19552 Tofterå Slettemoen Last Modified 30 Apr 2025
DNA Tests 1 DNA test is associated with Johannes van der Raadt
Father Pieter van der Raadt, b. 27 Apr 1858, Noordwijkerhout, Zuid-Holland , d. 8 May 1918, Noordwijkerhout, Zuid-Holland
(Age 60 years)
Mother Johanna van Loevezijn, b. 23 May 1855, Utrecht, Utrecht, Nederland , d. 26 Sep 1918, Noordwijkerhout, Zuid-Holland
(Age 63 years)
Married 8 Nov 1881 Noordwijkerhout, Zuid-Holland Family ID F6277 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Family Elisabeth Huberta van den Burg, b. 12 Nov 1895, Noordwijkerhout, Zuid-Holland , d. 25 Nov 1986, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada
(Age 91 years)
Married 7 May 1918 Sint Victor, Noordwijkerhout, Zuid-Holland - Getuigen: Christiaan Theodorus van der Raad, broeder des bruidegom out vier en dertig jaren, smid, wonende te Noordwijkerhout. Leonardus Adrianus van den Burg, broeder der bruid, oud vijf en twintig jaren, poelier, wonende te Noordwijkerhout.
Children 1. Johanna Maria Anna van der Raadt, b. 28 Nov 1919, Noordwijkerhout, Zuid-Holland , d. 11 Feb 2021, Vernon, BC
(Age 101 years)
2. Maria Johanna Elisabeth van der Raadt, b. 13 Dec 1920, Noordwijkerhout, Zuid-Holland , d. 21 Mar 1976, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
(Age 55 years)
3. Peter Cornelius Laurentius van der Raadt, b. 11 Oct 1922, Roosendaal en Nispen, Noord-Brabant, Nederland , d. 30 Sep 2000, Penticton, BC, Canada
(Age 77 years)
4. Cornelis Pieter Adrianus Leonardus van der Raadt, b. 4 Nov 1923, Roosendaal en Nispen, Noord-Brabant, Nederland , d. 27 Dec 2001, Heemstede, Holland
(Age 78 years)
5. Johannes Laurentius van der Raadt, b. 27 May 1928, den Haag, Zuid-Holland , d. 30 Dec 1992, Ontario, Canada
(Age 64 years)
Last Modified 7 Aug 2024 Family ID F6274 Group Sheet | Family Chart
-
Photos Silver wedding anniversary, John and Elisabeth van der Raadt
John and Elisabeth with Maria (in front), Peter (back, from left), Kees, Ann and John.John and Elisabeth van der Raadt on their motorcycle
John and Elisbeth, Ann (behind John) and Maria on a family outing, probably in 1921-22. Maybe the motorcycle was produced by Rabur - they did produce a few motorized bicycles.John van der Raadt
(1895-1990), photo 1978.John and Elisabeth van der Raadt
60th wedding anniversary, with children and children-in-law.John van der Raadt
(1895-1990) When he got married in 1918 Johannes is registered as a smith. Moved from Noordwijkerhout to Roosendal on May 17th 1921 and to the Hague on Feb 1 1924. When he moved the Hague he had started selling bicycles (rijwielhandelaar).
On 1939-03-10 John registered the bicycle brand RABUR, from van der Raadt/van den Burg bicycle factory, in…RABUR Rijwielen
The RABUR bicycle idea was created in 1918, coinciding with Johannes van der Raadt b. 1895 marrying Elisabeth van den Burg (Ra+Bur).
"In 1918 Johannes is registered as a smith. He moved from Noordwijkerhout to Roosendal on May 17th 1921 and to the Hague on Feb 1 1924. When he moved the Hague he had started selling bicycles (rijwielhandelaar).…RABUR Rijweilen, bicycle factory
Cristiaan van der Raadt (from left), Louie van der Raadt, unknown, Johannes van der Raadt, the two on the right are unknown. Approx 1939.Johannes van der Raadt
(1895-1990)Wedding 1947
Kees van der Raadt (1923-2001) and Lia Beijer (1926-2000) were married in parochiekekr va de Sint-Agnes Beklaan, den Haag on Aug 4, 1947, here with their bridal party in the church yard - Kees parents John and Elisabeth van der Raadt to the left of the groom.Elisabeth and John in Toronto
Photo at the Toronto airport, Elisabeth, John and Cor, Toon van den Burgs wife.In Toronto
Maria (from left), Toi, Cor, Toon, Ellie and John at the Toronto airport.Letterhead Rabur Rijwiel Industrie
Rabur Rijwiel Industrie
J. van der Raadt
Fabriek van Rijwielen en Rijwieltoebehoren
Laan van Meerdervoort 321 - Den Haag
HollandJohannes van der Raadt and sons in the Rabur factory
Johannes van der Raadt and sons Peter and John (left) in the Rabur Rijwielen Industrie bicycle factory in den Haag.Johannes van der Raadt with patented Rabur pedals
The rubber pedals were patented and manufactured for export from Rabur Rijwielen industrie in den Haag.Rabur rubber pedaal
The Rabur rubber bicyclepedal of very solid construction and much advantages above other pedals. Fitted wit a rubber bumper-system, nuts and bars had rubber fixing and could not be lost. The pedal-key could be freely turned around. The whole pedal was resting in first-class rubber, so one did not touch iron with the shoes.
Documents Marriage registration Johannes van der Raadt and Elisabeth van den Burg
Married May 7th, 1918 in Nordwijkerhout, Holland.Census Roosendal, 1923
John van der Raadts family in the 1923 census for Roosendal.
Histories RABUR Rijweilen bicycles from den Haag
RABUR, Haagse oude fiets
RABUR RIJWIEL INDUSTRIE, fabriek van Rijwielen en Rijwieltoebehooren
The name RABUR originated in 1918, coinciding with Johannes van der Raadt (1895-1991) marrying Elisabeth van den Burg (Ra+Bur).
See the RABUR album for photos of bicycle models, plaques and buildings --> RABUR photos
Backstory: 1907 it was…
Albums RABUR Rijwielen bicycle factory (14)
oude fiets
-
Notes - 1907 it was announced in the newspaper that his father Pieter was starting a "smederij" or smithy in Schippersslootweg, later called Havenstraat, Noordwijkerhout. They bought this house in January 1918. Area square meters: 625. They payed 4.300 guilders to Van der Zalm, who owned it since 1900 and probably was their landlord in the years before. Beautiful building. The "schuur" was their workplace or smithy, stood alone.
In 1916 the family bought a piece of land in De Zilk (northern part of Noordwijkerhout) at the Regenvlietweg (later nr 43) and expanded their business with a house and a smitty/forge.
When he got married in 1918 Johannes is registered as a smith as well, like his father, brother Chris and several uncles. The same year it was announced in the newspaper that the van der Raadt brothers need a "rijwielhersteller", so they had expanded their smitty with repairing bicycles.
When the father Pieter died from the Spanish flu on May 8, of 1918, three days after Johannes' wedding, it was announced in the newpaper that the business "P. v. D. Raadt and zonen" will continue on the same footing.
Announcement by advert shortly after the death or her husband, Johanna wants to sell, because of "death and having double businesses". Johanna decided this very soon after their husbands death, because the advert is placed on the 16th of May.
In July (17th) widow Johanna and her children make an inventory of the property, two houses/smithys in De Zilk (A1416 on map) and Noordwijkerhout (that year E1299 on map). Mortages and debts towards value is even, so there is nothing to divide. House valued on July 17th for 2.140 gld, sold July 30th for 3.150 gld.
So the 30th of july 1918 the smithy in De Zilk, which they had built only two years prior, is sold with all equipment. Two businesses is too much for Johanna. The house is sold at a public auction. New owners are the Van Stijn family. This all is no more than two months before the death of Johanna!
On the 14th of November a new inventory and division of the property has to be made. Johannes becomes sole owner of the smithy.
On 26th of April 1921 Johannes van der Raadt sells his house to the family Adrianus Vermin. Price is 9.010 guilders (compare: bought 1918: 4300!). Source for this info, cousin Jan Duivenvoorden.
Johannes and family moved from Noordwijkerhout to Roosendal on May 17th 1921 and to the Hague on Feb 1 1924. When he moved the Hague he had started selling bicycles (rijwielhandelaar).
On 1939-03-10 John registered the bicycle brand RABUR from the van der Raadt/van den Burg bicycle factory in the Hague. During the war he would smuggle messages to the reistance in the frames.
They had a house on 321 Laan van Meerdervoort, with a large apartment above the bicycle factory. "John had built a secret wall behind the furnace. There was a nazi across the street, who the boys would shoot at with bb guns, uncle Louie smoothed out the drama. The family also had to put up nazi officers." As told by daughter Ann.
After the war Holland was very poor. The business was ruined because of the confiscation of the merchandise. He thought he had to start all over again. After visiting his daughter Maria in Canada in 1948, they liked it very much, and he decided to start over in Canada instead. In Nov 1951 John and Elisabeth boarded the "Leythia" and left for Canada.
The Rabur bicycle factory and dealership was run by his son Peter for six months after the emigration. Times were very rough after the war. In May of 1952 the company was advertised in Elsevier Weekblad: "For takeover offered in the west of the country wholesaler in bicycles, bicycle parts and accessories, with excellent own brand: also large and well-maintained residential house available."
Was bought up by Empo (bicycle factory) in Vorden.
Received his Canadian citizenship in 1956. The same year, the Henderson's Moose Jaw directory - John is registered on 126 Winston Street (Churchill Park) in Moose Jaw. His obituary in The Leader-Post Apr 17, 1991 said he worked in the bicycle repair business until retiring in 1965. He had a keen interest i music and played keyboard and harmonica, and sang with the Caronport choir. He was survived by 26 grandchildren, 49 great-grandchildren and four great-great-great grandchildren.
- 1907 it was announced in the newspaper that his father Pieter was starting a "smederij" or smithy in Schippersslootweg, later called Havenstraat, Noordwijkerhout. They bought this house in January 1918. Area square meters: 625. They payed 4.300 guilders to Van der Zalm, who owned it since 1900 and probably was their landlord in the years before. Beautiful building. The "schuur" was their workplace or smithy, stood alone.